Featured Post

Thursday, December 29, 2022

Paddling the Alafia River

 

My new campsite is right across from this little beach take-out.

The river runs through Lithia Springs park and was one of Peggy’s favorites. It has a nice current and at low flows has little limestone shoals to maneuver through. It usually has lots of fallen trees and if they haven't cleared the blockage could result in having to portage around them.

On Wednesday the temperature was finally going to be in the 70’s so I got the campground host, Chris, to throw my kayak on top of his Jeep and shuttle me to the put-in at Alderman’s Ford. 

This will be my first paddling trip this winter. The river had a lot of deadfall but I was able to make it without getting out of my kayak to portage anywhere.

 I stopped for a short lunch break at Duck Landing and completed the 8 mile run in 2-1/2 hrs. Faster that I usually paddled in my canoe with Peggy. The park says it’s a 4-6 hour trip.

I plan to be here until at least Monday after New Year’s day, so I hope to get on the river one more time unless the river drops too low. 

The flow was 200 CFS, last year when I paddled with Barry Adams, it was only 175 CFS but was still OK. 

There is a chance of rain Saturday so maybe I should wait until Sunday and hope for a higher water level.

 

Picture of my new campsite closer to the river.  

Site 36 - Lithia Springs

The temps are going into the high 70's today so I decided to leave about 11 AM and take another 2 hour, 18 mile, bike ride through the Fish Hawk neighborhood paths again,



3 comments:

  1. Places look amazing. Need to see that sunshine soon. Travel safe and stay away from the Alligators.

    ReplyDelete