Featured Post

Saturday, March 2, 2024

Lithia Springs County Park for 1 week

As I told in my last blog I was able to get a great campsite right on the Alafia River, #40 with easy river access. The river sites are limited to 14 days, while the rest of their campsites are available for 28 days. They do not take reservations but if you get here early in the morning, it seems someone is always checking out.

On Monday, Chris the really great campground host shuttled me and my kayak to Alderman Ford where I could put-in on the Alafia River and paddle 9 miles back to my campsite. The level was low 180 cfs but fine. It took 3 hours with a 30 minute stop for lunch.

This is a map of Upper Alafia River. Click Here to see 
Florida Paddling Trails Association's River Info and bigger maps.

On Wednesday I decided I needed a haircut really bad so I biked over to Great Clips and got a crewcut.

Since I was in the western area of Fishhawk Ranch, I kept going to Bell Creek Nature Preserve and returned by Shadow Run Park, it was a nice 17 mi ride.

I'll bet there are over 30 miles of wide concrete sidewalks that go through all their natural areas, and the trails end at Lithia Springs Campground. You seldom see any other bikers or hikers on these great trails. It does say for residents but that is not enforced.


Fish Hawk Ranch Trails - Click to view High Resolution Map

On Thursady I did another 18 mile bike ride mostly in the eastern area of Fish Hawk Trails. The weather has been perfect all week with lows around 60 and quickly warming to the mid-70's by late afternoon.

River Launch at my campsite #40

On Friday morning I noticed that the river had dropped down to 130 CFS, which is the lowest I had ever paddled it. I like the first 3 miles of the Lower Alafia River so I decided to paddle downstream 3 miles and then back to my campsite eliminating the need to run a shuttle. There are a lot of shallow shoals and I wasn't sure if I could paddle back upstream through all of them but I made it. It took me almost 30 min longer going back upstream to my camp. It took a little over 2 hours with no breaks.

This is a map of the 7 mile Lower Alafia River. Click Here to see Florida Paddling Trails Association's River Info and bigger maps. 

I saw 3 nice sized gators enjoying the sunny skies. Most jumped in the water when I approached.

Peggy's last time at Lithia Springs

On Sunday I will head north about 60 miles back to Cypress Glen Campground in the Withlachoochee State Forest. It's been 2-1/2 months since I was here on my way south. My travels must not have been far since this is the first time I had to get gas since then.

2 comments:

  1. That alligator is huge😱. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, love the picture of mom!
    Be safe, love Meg

    ReplyDelete