Featured Post

Thursday, November 16, 2023

Augusta's Savannah River Trails

Savannah Diversion Dam
 I've done this trail that runs between the river and the canal several times with Peggy.

To see a map of the canal and nearby trails: Download a map of Augusta's Trails

For the first 5 miles the trail is dirt and runs between the river and the canal. It may be muddy & have deep puddles after a rain.

Then the other paved trails split off, I took the 3.5 mi River Level Trail which goes to downtown Augusta and has views of the beautiful homes across the river. I did a 16 mi round trip and was on the road to FL by 11AM.


Peggy's Love Lock


Here is today's view

View of the homes across the river

I normally would have stayed for 2 days and biked the other trails as well but they were forecasting an afternoon rain and rain on Thursday as well.
So I got on the road by 11am for the 285 mile rainy drive to FL and stayed in my first campground of the trip in Osceola NF, Ocean Pond Campground. They don't take reservations here and only have about 16 campsites with electric power and water. Because it was mid-week before the start of Thanksgiving week I was fortunate that they had 6 empty sites when I arrived just before twilight. I got the same campsite I had last March.

Site 6

So Thursday will finally be a rest day for me, it's cloudy with a chance of rain but temps in the low 70's. Finally I'll be able to grill myself some Salmon & Zucchini.


4 comments:

  1. That site is so nice! Did mom put a lock on there in the past?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics!! Glad your having fun.
    Love ya, Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a mini Niagara falls haha! Awesome pictures, hope you have the best time!
    Love and miss you,
    Jake

    ReplyDelete