Featured Post

Monday, November 27, 2023

Ichetucknee Springs on Monday

It started to rain on Sunday morning and I needed to go shopping and get some groceries, so rather than break camp and drive to Lake City and back, about a 40 mi round trip, I decided to just check out, shop and stay at a Lowes overnight. I could go out to eat for the price of my campsite and get an early start on Monday morning after a short 20 mi drive to the Ichetucknee Springs River. 

The striking clarity of the Ichetucknee River rates it as one of the best, if not the premier example of a spring-run stream in Florida. The park protects 3.5 miles of this cherished river, as well as its major springs and numerous seeps. The clear, cool spring water of the Ichetucknee River travels a couple of miles downstream before meeting the darker, tannic Santa Fe River. 

The current is fast and in the summer it is a favorite place for people to float on inner tubes. So for paddlers it is best to avoid the summer or warm weekends, then you might have the river to yourself. I have always started at the take-out and paddled the 3 miles up to the spring, then you can float back and enjoy the scenery, white-tailed deer, raccoons, river otters, wild turkeys, wood ducks, ibis and great blue herons can be seen from the river along with dozens of turtles on the fallen logs.

Sometime plans don't exactly work out. On my drive over to Lake City I heard a loud thumping sound coming from a tire. Being a Sunday, not much I could do until Monday morning. I found my 9 year old tire was starting to delaminate, I needed to buy at least 2 tires in town. Sunday's dinner plan didn't work either, it was only 1/4 mi walk to the restaurant from my RV but it was raining so hard I decided to have some leftovers instead. Luckily I found a nice tire store right across from the Walmart and they had enough tires in stock, so I decided to buy all 6 tires and be done with it. I was on the road to the Ichetucknee by 10 am. I was on the river after 11 am and paddled to the source of the spring. I did see 3 river otters, 2 curious deer watching me paddle by and hundreds of very tame turtles. None jumping in the water when you paddle by like on other rivers. I also saw more paddlers going downstream, at least 20 in 5 or 6 groups, than I have ever seen before. 

It was a sunny morning but after my big tire purchase I drove to the river and there was Peggy waiting for me to launch our canoe, I wish.

I got back to my RV by 1:30 pm after having lunch at the spring and was on the road to Juniper Springs in the Ocala National Forest where I checked in at 3:30pm, busy day.

Tomorrow's plan is to meet up with Erin Bethea and her friend who are in the area paddling several rivers.



3 comments:

  1. Glad your tire didn't blow out on you. Probably a smart move to buy all new tires. We are experiencing our first winter storm of the season, so that is fun... NOT! Leah and I are heading to Memphis this weekend, hopefully we can hit some 50-60 degree weather, it is currently 28 now here is sunny Vermilion:) Love and miss you, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m glad you were able to get your tires replaced. I remember being a kid and driving on the highway and a tire would blow out in our car would go everywhere. Can’t believe all those turtles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turtles are acceptable wildlife! But not too close :-)
    Love Meg

    ReplyDelete