Featured Post

Monday, November 13, 2023

Virginia Creeper Bike Trail


Whitetop Train Station Visitor Center
I camped behind Adventure Damascus, the outfitter that provided a shuttle up to Whitetop Mountan(3600'), I'm glad I decided not to attempt to bike in both directions like I did 29 years ago. The grade from Damascus (2200') to Whitetop averages about 2% and the first 5 miles is more than 4%.

In fact for the entire trip I did not pedal more than 1 mile out the the total 17 miles. And the first 4 miles I had to be continually braking. It's a narrow trail, mostly dirt, full of leaves. It's really pretty but I was so busy making sure I didn't crash, I'm sure I missed a lot. There was one other couple on the same shuttle and they took off and I never saw them again. I did pass two strong mountain bikers peddling uphill and two e-bikes going up as well. I can't imagine dodging hundreds of bikers who do the trail when in season.

Even taking it easy and going slow I finished in 2 hours. I felt safer going faster when the trail got flatter.


Green Cove Station 

I guess I'm getting too old for all the maneuvering as you cross 30 bridges making your way down hill.

I don't think I'll be back here to bike again but it was a good experience.

The shuttle was at 9AM and it was a cool morning but I was dressed warmly. I got back and had lunch in my RV before driving 3 hours to a Traveler's Rest, SC , north of Greenvile, SC. Traffic was heavy and slow south of Ashville and a big accident had the road closed but it was cleared before I got there.

I found a quiet spot with no cars to spend the night at a Walmart.

If you want to know more about the trail and area watch Mary Jo Monte's from Ohio Video.


Tomorrow's plan is to bike the paved Swamp Rabbit Trail to Greenville's Falls Park and back. It's starting to get warmer, high 60's but clouding up.

8 comments:

  1. That trail sound super scary. I didn’t realize it was a dirt road with leaves. You are so brave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Joan said, you are very brave. Not sure I'd like a dirt path downhill! Glad to hear it is getting warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep forgetting to say these comments are from me...Pam:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you watch part of the video?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops. Looks like a beautiful trail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pat and I did it a couple of years ago. We did in the fall as the leaves were turning and the water was rushing down along the trail. It was a pretty ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you. Are you guys going to get to FL this winter?

      Delete